Tuesday, February 11, 2014

HomePlug / Powerline network vs MOCA / HomePNA Ethernet

I have 2 coax cables runnign to my living room. One for SAT TV, and another for TV/Internet from the local provider Stofa. The later terminates in a cable modem, and an analog signal to the TV. I can't pull the cables out, and replace one with an ethernet cable, so have to find another solution.

I have since switched my Internet to the local fiber ISP Waoo, who is providing 60/60 Mbit, and IPTV. I had a wireless bridge (WDS) connection between my office room and the living room, it was working fine at around 30-60 Mbps. But, when streaming HDTV @ 15-20 Mbps the signal is competely unusable.

So I decided to go for HomePlug AV500 and see if I could get the 30-40 Mbit stable connection people normally get under difficult conditions. My house is from 2007, so wiring is relatively new. There is around 15 meters from the living room to the location where I have the Fibernet -> Ethernet converter.

I was considering the TP-Link product, as I like their products in general, but it is not certified, and might give interoperability problems if I need more HomePlug. So I went for the Zyxel 4201 kit. They follow the Homeplug 500 AV standard, and are cheap. There are other products out there that are marked 600 or 650+, which also uses the ground wire. They supposedly gives 20% more performance. They are available with EEC 7/4 Schuko plug, so I would need an adapter to conect the ground wire. And they are way more expensive.

I found wall outlet on the same phase as the living room, and was able to establish a connection. But, iPerf only showed 9-10 Mbit/s thruput, and now even SD channels went blocky once in a while. So HomePlug is not up to the job.

So now I have ordered a Marmitek IPTV Coax Pro set, which uses the 2-68MHz frequency band to provide 200 Mbit/s Ethernet over RG59 coax. It will transmit TV signals on the same cable. This set comes with one adapter with RF-in, RF+Coaxnet out + 1 x ethernet, and the other device has a 4 port ethernet switch. All ethernet ports are 100Mbit, but you can use up to 16 devices on the same coax cabling, but the maximum bandwidth is 200 Mbit/s. Reviews of MoCa units seems to indicate normal thruput > 90 Mbps. So I am looking forward to receiving the boxes.

There are multiple MoCa 1.1 / HomePNA 3.1 boxes available. But there are some non-certified products as well, I specificly went for the MoCa box, in the hope that future expansion might be possible from other vendors.

MoCa 1.1 needs one 50MHz frequency range in the  range of 500- 1600 MHz.




No comments:

Post a Comment